Friday 2 April 2010

Shutter Island

So I saw Shutter Island on yesterday and I really really enjoyed it, save it being a bit too long. Alot of professional critism directed at the film is that the plot is thin, and the twist at the end is just, like, so so obvious, you could see it coming from the first scene. Obviously.

Really?? I hate film critics that talk to readers like they are fellow film critics. I didn't see the twist coming at all, I wasn't thinking ahead, I was just enjoying the damn thing as it unfurled in front of me. Can film critics really enjoy a film or are they jotting down thoughts on a mental blotter in their mind, proudly picking up on bits that frankly the average film goer doesn't?

I especially loved the beginnning of the film, being led into the institute... it was so nightmarish and really well shot. It reminded me of one of the most eerie photographs I have ever seen from the fantastic abandoned britain website which if you have any time you should really check out:

http://www.abandoned-britain.com/PP/canehill/1.htm


So the film was good, I've seen so much crap at the cinema so it was nice to justify the £6.00 spenditure, even if some kids in the cinema would not stop laughing at the back for the first 10 mins... Why come to the cinema to talk? Sheesh. Thankfully an old man shushed them into silence. God bless the elderly.

Book wise... I haven't read at all these last two days. I have the time but I've just been pre-occupied with other things, like going out, walking the dog, long baths and my brothers PS3 (damn that thing, and Modern Warfare 2, the most addictive shooting game ever). Next week I really have to start doing some university work to. I'm down at my parents for one more week come Saturday... It has to be productive!

And what is it with late night TV advertisments? Just saw (or rather heard) adverts for thrush and gay exchange chat. Now my brother has turned over to something with Chris Moyles, the most annoying radio host (and now TV personaility apparently) in the world. I think i prefered the adverts.

1 comment: